Providing full design services
SMEC provided full design services, from preliminary concept through to final design and through the construction phase of the project. Design delivery was ahead of program and under budget, and included the award of significant variations to the original project scope.
Managed by the Origin Alliance, SMEC was one of the two engineering firms engaged to deliver the detailed design of this complex road infrastructure project.
Project works included:
- Widening of 8 km of existing motorway corridor from two to three lanes in both directions, with room for four lanes in the future
- Motorway to motorway grade separated interchanges to provide safer, more effective vehicle access to the Warrego and Cunningham Highways
- Grade separated interchange at Redbank, with connection to Smiths Road extension to the South and Monash Road extension to the North
- Grade separated interchange at Goodna
- 24 bridges including 6 pedestrian bridges
- New service roads and upgrading of local roads totalling 13 km in length
- Drainage including transverse, longitudinal and water quality infrastructure
- Provision for pedestrian and cyclists along the Ipswich Motorway corridor and local road network
- Rehabilitation of underground coal mines through grouting to prevent future subsidence
- Intelligent Transport System to provide increased driver safety and ensure more effective future motorway management
- Temporary Traffic Management to allow construction of the motorway under traffic, involving over 35 major traffic switches.
Improved community safety and quality of life
This project improved safety and quality of life for the surrounding communities by enabling more transport options for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians, reducing congestion, providing safer motorways crossings, and increasing capacity for anticipated growth.
Since the project’s completion South East Queensland has experienced over a decade of rapid population growth. The legacy this project has left for the community is outstanding — enabling safe and efficient commuter access to the growing satellite city of Ipswich as well as supporting economic expansion as a key transport route.